So when I saw this grassy area right by our apartment I thought - why did they build a bridge over it?

There was a huge storm one night and the next morning we had a river flowing down our backyard! This happened twice in the last 2 weeks - drybed, storm, then river, drybed, storm, then river... It must be common during the monsoon season here because no one seemed overly surprised. There is even a golf course that they built on the other side of the bridge that gets flooded with water every time a big storm comes.
On a different note, I finished my first week of graduate school here at ASU - things are going well. I work as a math TA for Calculus I - which means I have 50 students that I am in charge of. I have a 6th floor office that I share with some other TA's and it has an awesome view of the football stadium here. Which by the way they just built an 8 million dollar practice facility here for the ASU football team. The team used it for like 2 weeks and then a big storm hit this week and it tore open the building (it is made of some kind of fabric) and now they can't use it for the rest of the year... sad and ironic at the same time.
I go over to Summer's school a few times a week to help her out in her class room which is something I didn't get the chance to do in Utah. I can get to her school by bus in about an hour. She really appreciates it since she has a lot to do and no parent help, so I don't mind coming over. We were so excited yesterday - the weather got down into the upper 90's during the day and it felt so good - there were people walking around outside everywhere! Okay so I know that still sounds hot to some of you, but when you're used to 107 everyday... well you get the picture.

Those pictures are quite amazing. It is interesting to move different places and see how different the environment is everywhere. You would like it here. We actually rarely get up to 100 degrees. It sounds like you are doing really well there. We are glad everything is going so well.
ReplyDelete